Who is the Mackinac Center and why is it attacking the MEA?
• The Mackinac Center bills itself as an independent think tank, but it’s actually funded by corporations that want part of the $12 billion public schools budget.
• The Mackinac Center pretends it wants teachers and school employees to save money, but it’s responsible for every recent pay and benefit cut imposed on them.
• It wants to shut down the state pension system. Including MPSERS.
• It’s trying to turn members against the MEA so its corporate funders can cash in on public schools by converting them to private companies.
•The Koch Brothers, the Devos family and Exxon fund its operations.
• It writes anti-worker legislation promoted nationwide by ALEC.
Why does the Mackinac Center want MEA members to quit?
• The Mackinac Center works through the Legislature to weaken the MEA, giving it less political muscle. The fewer members it has, the fewer political dollars it can raise and the fewer bodies it can turn out in an election.
• If it can severely weaken the MEA, its corporate funders can move on to privatize (monetize) the public schools, through many more privately run charter schools, private on-line cyber schools, and vouchers.
If I follow their advice and quit, what do I lose?
• Belonging to Michigan’s leading education organization
• Legal representation (real attorneys) and employee rights experts
• A strong voice in Lansing
• State and national certification support and free online PD with SCECHs (continuing education credits) costing only $2 each
• $1 million professional liability insurance
• Home and auto insurance at very large (100,000 person) group rates
• Free and discounted life insurance
• The satisfaction that you’ve seen through the Mackinac Center’s lies