FAQ From Michigan Office of Retirement Services.

PA 75 and 3% Healthcare Contributions FAQs

How much money will be refunded to me?

ORS will notify members of their refund amount soon. Please continue to check the What’s New section for more information as it becomes available.

When will I receive my refund?

ORS will provide the essential data regarding the refunded contributions and interest to employers no later than January 10, 2018. Employers will receive a transfer of the contribution and interest funds with the January 22, 2018 school aid payment. There are 53 districts that have closed, dissolved, or merged since 2010. The return of those contributions may be later than January 22 because a different methodology will be used to transfer those contributions.

What if I’m retired?

If you worked anytime during July 2010 until September 2012, your 3% healthcare contributions during that period will be returned.

What if I’ve moved/left the school I worked for?

This money will be refunded through your school district. It is important to update your address with the school where you worked during July 2010 until September 2012. If you worked for more than one school district during that period, be sure your address is current with each school district. If you are retired, update your mailing address in miAccount and we will provide it to your school district.

What if my district/school closed?

Some districts merged into others. If that is the case, the money will be refunded through the merged school district. If your district/school closed, we’re working on the plan to refund your contributions to you.

Do we get interest on these funds?

Yes, interest will be included in the refund you receive. The courts directed the administration to maintain the funds in a capital preservation escrow account, which accrues a very minimal amount of interest.

What about state employees?

Court cases regarding state employees have already been resolved. This is only for public school employees who worked during July 2010 until September 2012 and contributed 3% toward retiree healthcare.

Why can’t you send this directly to us instead of sending it to our employers?

There are taxation rules for these payments that can only be implemented by the employers.

How is the money refunded if the contributing member is deceased?

The school districts will issue the refunds. Each district will determine how to distribute the refund in this situation.

How will this impact my taxes?

The school districts will issue the refunds. ORS can’t speak to the tax implications.

Published December 21, 2017

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s